LASIK surgery day is an exciting time at Azul Vision! It can also be a bit nerve-wracking for some patients. Our team fully understands the conflicting emotions of exhilaration and nervousness. When you arrive, we’ll be ready to help you relax and remind you that you are making a major stride in your quality of life. If you need a little extra help to calm your nerves, we will give you some relaxation medication.
After we’ve completed your surgery day paperwork and given you time to relax, we’ll move into our LASIK surgery suite. You may only be in this room for 30 minutes or less. Your doctor will meet with you again before your procedure and explain all of the steps as they are being done. Feel free to ask any last-minute questions you may have!
What to Expect During LASIK Surgery
- The first step is to numb your eyes with eye drops.
- When the drops have taken effect, we will prepare one eye for treatment using an instrument called a lid speculum to keep your eye open.
- A very thin flap is made on your cornea and then gently folded over.
- You will look directly into a light on our machine. The laser treatment is done in just a few minutes. If your eye moves, even a little bit, the laser will instantly stop until you are back into the correct position. Minuscule amounts of corneal tissue are removed to achieve the ideal roundness. The laser is programmed in advance of your procedure, so the doctor knows precisely which areas of your cornea need treatment.
- The flap is repositioned and the lid speculum is removed.
If you are having LASIK on both eyes, the process is completed on the other eye.
LASIK is an outpatient procedure, so you’ll be able to go home the same day where you should rest for the remainder of the day and night. Most patients are able to return to work and non-strenuous activities the day after LASIK! It is possible to start seeing more clearly right away, but for most patients it may take several months for your vision to completely stabilize. You will want to make sure you don’t rub your eyes for several days as your corneal flap heals. Your doctor will schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress and ensure there are no complications.
At Azul Vision, we offer free LASIK Consultations for anyone interested in LASIK. We will not pressure you to have the procedure – we’ll just give you honest information about your eye health and candidacy. You decide if you want to proceed.
Find out if LASIK is right for you.
Schedule a Free LASIK Consultation today!