PRK surgery day is an exciting time at Azul Vision! It can also be a bit nerve-wracking for some patients. Our team fully understands the conflicting emotions of exhilaration and nervousness. When you arrive, we’ll be ready to help you relax and remind you that you are making a major stride in your quality of life. If you need a little extra help to calm your nerves, we will give you some relaxation medication.
After we’ve completed your surgery day paperwork and given you time to relax, we’ll move into our surgery suite. You may only be in this room for 30 minutes or less. Your doctor will meet with you again before your procedure and explain all of the steps as they are being done. Feel free to ask any last-minute questions you may have!
What to Expect During PRK Surgery
- The first step is to numb your eyes with eye drops.
- When the drops have taken effect, we will prepare one eye for treatment using an instrument called a lid speculum to keep your eye open.
- A thin layer of your cornea is gently removed (epithelial layer).
- You will look directly into a light on our machine. The laser treatment is done in just a few minutes. If your eye moves, even a little bit, the laser will instantly stop until you are back into correct position. Minuscule amounts of corneal tissue are removed to achieve the ideal roundness. The laser is programmed in advance of your procedure, so the doctor knows precisely which areas of your cornea need treatment.
- A bandage contact lens is inserted into your eye to protect your cornea as the epithelial layer regenerates.
If you are having PRK on both eyes, the process is completed on the other eye.
PRK is an outpatient procedure, so you’ll be able to go home the same day where you should rest for the remainder of the day and night. It will take 3-5 days for your epithelial layer to regenerate. This is a natural process, but it will require that you follow your doctor’s instructions and give your eyes the time they need to heal. Your doctor will schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress and ensure there are no complications.
At Azul Vision, we offer free Consultations for anyone interested in LASIK. As we assess your eyesight and eye health, we may determine that PRK would be a better route for you. You can always expect to receive honest information from our team. Then you can decide if you want to proceed.
Find out if PRK is right for you.
Schedule a Free Consultation today!